Major tasks performed by the Irrigation Department are the operations and maintenance of the irrigation canal networks and regulations of flows from barrages on Indus river. Flood bund maintenance and protection works along with water conservation and drought mitigation measures by constructing small dams are the core engineering functions of Sindh Irrigation Department.
The competent authority has been placed to approve the following policy for approval of irrigation cases in the commands of all the three barrages in Sindh:
1. There would be complete ban on:
• Sanction of new outlets.
• Sanction of supplementary/temporary pipes.
• Transfer of area from one barrage command to other barrage command.
• Conversation of dry area into paddy.
• Sanction of garden water.
• Sanction of water for D class land.
2. The powers for relaxation of ban are vested in Governor/Cabinet